Friday, May 15, 2009

Played Tag Rugby..!!

Ysdy my lab mate and friend Neil asked if I wanted to go watch(and if somebody doesn't turn up, then play) Tag Rugby (http://www.tagrugby.ie/)..!! Never knew what it was, how it is played.. Never had actually heard about such a sport before..
Thats when he shares a few youtube videos to tell me what it is.. And I am aways game for any such sport... I said yes and will go home and get a pair of shorts n tee.. So picked that from my home on the way.. We did not know the way to the clud.. So had to follow Patrick.. He is another PhD student with the CS Dept.. He has a canoe always mounted on top of his car.. When I asked Neil, he said that Patrick is one of the best in the country.. He practices all the time and very likely make it to the Olympic Team if all goes fine.. Now that is like so 'Wow'.!!! :)
Anyways we finally reached the place - Barnhall Rugby Club, Liexlip.

View Larger Map

Here are the Rules.
Its a mixed team of guys and girls.. at a given time we need to have 3 girls on the pitch.. And if a guy scores, we get 1 point and if a girl scores, we get 3 points.. Talk about it being sexist.. :)

And I took part in the basic drills.. Although I wasn't going to play.. Then finally our 1st match.. And its only then some of us knew that we registered ourselves in the Highest League, which was a dumb thing to do.. The opponents have been practicing their moves and strategy.. They easily outplayed us.. 15-1 I guess was the score.. er.. I think they scored even more.. I dint wish to count further.. :D

Clearly showed that we need more practice.. Anyways post match we divided our team into 2 and then had our own match.. And this time I too got to play.. And boy I was excited..
I made some nice moves and the captain seemed pretty impressed.. High fives and all.. :P

When we were practicing post match we did not have tags, so we made a rule that we need to just strike the opponent gently either on the left or right side of their hip.. That will be considered as a tag.
But now some guys sure did take advantage of this.. People spanking all the time..!! hehehee.. Was so funny..
And no Afrin, I did not spank.. --Adjusts the Halo so that it is in place-- :D

To know how it is played and to have a look at the ground where we played, check this link:
Video to last year's finals

We need to put ourselves along with the smaller leagues else we are going to get thrashed by all the other teams we need to play.. I heard that the team we played had about 2-3 professional players.. One guy just got a contract to play in Australia.. And how on earth are we going to contain them.. :)

Anyways I totally enjoyed the game.. And I was the only Non-Irish person in the whole club... hehehehe.. Nobody else plays this sport.. Looking forward for more.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment